Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Writers' Pledge

by Cathy Fyock @CathyFyock

One day I was meeting with a client who told me about the pledge that she and her grandson had written. It was an affirmation they would say together to set a powerful and positive intention for their day.

I thought it was a wonderful idea and decided to write my own Writers’ Pledge with input from my writer colleagues and clients. At the insistence of my coaching clients, we say it together at the beginning of every coaching call.

I thought it might be a great way for us to start a conversation about setting our intentions about writing.

I pledge that I will use my power to make today a fantastic day. I will block writing time on my calendar, and I will honor that time commitment and hold it as sacred, creative time.

I pledge that I will not allow my negative voice to guide my thinking or stop my creative process. I will surround myself with people who love me and support my writing.

I pledge to tell my story—to share my experiences—with authenticity and without apology. I know that in telling my story I can provide others with the gifts of hope, wisdom, and joy.

I pledge that I will continue to work so that I gain clarity and focus for my readers, audiences, and clients. Then I can continue to make the world a better place, one word at a time.

Are you setting a positive intention for your writing each day? How do you do it?

If you’d like to receive a copy of my Writers’ Pledge to print and post near your desk, please send me an email at Cathy@CathyFyock.com with Writers’ Pledge in the subject line!

TWEETABLES


Cathy Fyock is The Business Book Strategist, and works with professionals and thought leaders who want to write a book as a business development strategy. She is the author of eight books, including Blog2Book: Repurposing Content to Discover the Book You’ve Already Written. She can be reached at Cathy@CathyFyock.com.

8 comments:

  1. Cathy, Thank you for this. I have not written a pledge but intend to do so this week. God bless you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your note! I'd love to see your own pledge when you get it written!

      Delete
  2. Cathy, what an excellent post to not only write with intentionality but live that way. Point #2 is one I will tape at my computer. I'm definitely motivated to write a pledge. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, living and writing with intention is what it's all about! I'd love to see your pledge once it's written!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Cathy, for the reminder that we all need a mission statement. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is more motivating than focusing on your WHY! Thanks for your note.

      Delete
  4. Cathy: You have given me something to think about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your note! Hope this continues to inspire you.

      Delete