Sunday, June 4, 2017

Writing for My Own Soul

by Danetta Keller @DanettaKellar

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

When did I begin to write for an audience? I have wondered long about this in recent days.

For as far back as I can remember, words have rushed forth in my soul like the Kenyan monsoon rains in April. Writing has been my companion, my comforter, my patient listener. The paper of the early years has given way to an unlimited supply of digital pages. The expression of words through writing has brought comfort and clarity to my noisy heart.

I have come to know my own soul reflected in the words penned by my hand. Writing has been a highly personal pursuit, a safe hiding place. It has led me directly to God, the One who never tires of words. Writing has been the means by which I have cast all my anxieties upon Him, and discovered how deeply He cares for me.

I have found the deep comfort and clarity that comes from writing for an audience of One.

But somehow, as others began to notice my words and respond to them, my allegiance changed. I came out of hiding and began to write for others, not for myself. I was compelled to share the truths I had learned alone with God. So I laid aside my personal writing and poured my heart into a new audience.

Over time, my soul protested. In the portal of my mind anxieties grew, dreams stood impatient for attention, feelings lay tangled and knotted, all creating a logjam of tension in me. I was consumed with my new audience and what they thought of me, and it exhausted and tormented my mind.

I longed for the comfort and affirmation I once enjoyed before my audience of One. I needed to write again privately for my own soul.

Recently I began to journal again. Most mornings now, before I turn to any other writing, I sit down and pour out my heart to the One who cares for me. I close the door to thoughts of how what I am writing can be shared with others, and hide away alone again with God. Me and my raw, honest words. The freedom has been exhilarating. I am discovering again the reason I write.

Writers, we need to do both. To write for others I need to also write for myself. It is in the untangling of my own words alone with God that I discover the depths of His care for me, and His careful attention to all that brings me concern. I am reminded of God’s power and the Truth my soul craves. I feed my soul when I write for myself.

Someday, I might look at my private writing and find treasures there to share with others. But that must not be my goal.

As you share your words today, don’t forsake writing for yourself, casting your cares upon the One who cares for you.

TWEETABLES
To write for others I need also to #write for myself - @DanettaKellar (Click to Tweet)

#Writing for my own soul - @DanettaKellar (Click to Tweet)

Danetta Kellar is a writer, blogger, and speaker. Her interesting life has taken her around the globe, where she has had the privilege to witness firsthand the transformation of women from all walks of life and culture as they exchange lies for the Truth found in Christ. 

Her writing flows out of this rich experience and her own continual search for treasures in life’s darkness. Connect with Danetta online through her blog, Riches Out of Darkness, and on Facebook, or Twitter. 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your feelings about writing. I, too, feel this "need" for writing in my soul. It brings me comfort as I pour forth what my heart feels. And with God embracing me, I sift through the thoughts and feelings and find that His grace and wisdom plant seeds that grow from the events of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loretta, it is so nice to know others feel this drive and the satisfaction it brings to meet God in our writing. May the Lord bless you as you write today.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the reminder Danetta. This is something I tend to forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you today Sheryl. Thanks for your encouragement. D

      Delete
  3. Thanks! When I am more concerned about how I look as a Christian woman/writer, instead of being one, which includes facing my own soul truthfully, then my writing for others loses its salt. And, of course, my life isn't what it should be either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita I believe you captured what discipleship is all about. May your writing be salt and light today.

      Delete
  4. Thank you. This tells me I'm not selfish if I don't share everything I write. Some words are meant to be intimate between God and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I think I slipped into a mindset at one point that everything I wrote was to share with others. Writing for me alone again seemed to set my heart straight and make the writing for others even richer. Blessings to you today!

      Delete