Friday, December 2, 2016

When Writing Isn’t Easy

by Bruce Brady @BDBrady007

In his kindness, God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation (1 Peter 5:10 NLT).

Many of you know I’m dealing with the ups and downs of cancer. As always, God allows me to suffer for a while, then steps in to comfort me and show me how my suffering can be used to help others.

My recent battle resulted from radiation therapy. The treatments went well. I didn’t have any negative side effects—until the last couple of days. That’s when it hit me. Nausea, cramping, bloating, and other symptoms that in my compassion for you I’ll not describe.

These unfriendly manifestations persisted for the longest three weeks of my life. Convinced they’d never end I prayed God would take me home—at least twice. But He kept me here and finally assured me He was still with me—even to the ends of the age.
Difficulties come to us 
for several reasons. 

They’re the result of our own sin, the actions of a fallen world, and the testing of our faith. It’s easy to trust the Lord when everything is going well; quite a different story when times are tough. Especially when our faith requires leaving everything up to God. (I don’t do well when I can’t act.)


At time we all want to quit. 
At times, we really want to quit, give up, or beg for a personal rapture.

Thank God, He doesn’t always answer these prayers with “yes.” Instead, He often responds by showing us why and how our suffering will benefit us—and others. He promises suffering will accompany following Him. We humans learn more from adversity than comfort and ease.

But our suffering will never rival the horrors Jesus endured on our behalf.

As writers, it’s our responsibility to use our life-lessons to give our audiences hope. 

No matter the genre, our readers and listeners not only look to us for entertainment and information, but also reasons to keep going. If we can’t give them that, what’s the point of our words?

There’s much written for nothing more than entertainment value. Much of this focuses on human lusts, trusting our humanity will keep us coming back for more. But carnal prose doesn’t enrich our lives, it keeps us grounded in the world. A world that offers a perpetual quest for more without ever providing true satisfaction.

Writing for God brings the ultimate reward.
Writing for God brings the ultimate reward. It frees us from the pressures of pleasing an ever-changing public. We can write our stories knowing they will reach those who need them.

God never promised us an easy life. But He did promise to take care of all our needs.

He will richly bless us for our faithfulness. The LORD will guarantee a blessing on everything you do and will fill your storehouses with grain. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you (Deuteronomy 28:8 NLT).

When we continue to honor and trust Him amidst our , he will restore, support, and strengthen you (us), and he will place you (us) on a firm foundation.


How about you? Do you, like me, struggle with trusting the Lord for all your needs? Do you find it challenging to write for Him in a fallen world? Do you have some encouraging words to offer? Please share your thoughts in the comments below. 

TWEETABLES

It’s a writer's responsibility to use our life-lessons to give our audiences #hope - @BDBrady007 (Click to Tweet)

Bruce Brady is an author, writer and playwright. His work has appeared in Focus on the Family’s Thriving Family, www.ChristianDevotions.us, and on stage. Currently, Bruce is working on a Young Adult Novel about a boy who must deal with the death of his dad, being bullied, and helping his mom through her grief. His first five pages took third place in the ACFW South Carolina Chapter’s “First Five Pages” contest.

When he’s not writing, Bruce spends time learning from and helping other writers. He serves as Mentor of Word Weavers International’s Online Chapter, and as a member of Cross ‘N’ Pens, The Writer’s Plot, ACFW’s National and South Carolina Chapters.

“My dream is to entertain my readers and give them hope as they travel the rocky road of life.”

15 comments:

  1. Bruce, I've learned that whenever two or more factors in life come back to back and carry the same message, I'd better pay attention because God has something in it for me to learn. Your post coincided with the Bible text and devotional reading that I had today. The text was 1 Peter 1:7: "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ." The devotional reading was from Alexander McLaren's commentary on that passage. Together with your blog post, the Lord is sending me a valuable lesson: to allow my trials and testings to strengthen and purify my faith. Thank you for being one of the messengers carrying that important lesson to me and countless others today. May the Lord multiply the reach of your writing ministry and its influence on others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dennis. I love it when He uses my trials to bless others. It took a long while but I finally learned that challenges are not only meant to strengthen me, but are to be used to sharpen others as iron sharpens iron. Thank you also for your prayer. It's my desire to influence others for Him because I know the joy of living with and for Him. God bless you, in and out of your trials.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Bruce for encouraging us, even in your pain. Saying a prayer for you right now, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, your words not only encourage writers; they are guiding lights that shine in the darkness for Christian writers not to lose the heart beat of why we write.

    Thank you for today's message. You are still being lifted up in prayers. I praise God for the times you have encouraged me directly to write on.

    Shine on, my friend. You are a difference maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn. Please extend my thanks to the group as well. I'm happy He has used me to encourage you because you have inspired me many times. I miss seeing you but enjoy your continued friendship. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Bruce, for the encouraging words. A year ago this season, my dad was undergoing chemo and my husband just starting dialysis. I felt pulled in many directions and often asked God to carry me through. As I look back over the year, I marvel at all God did during those difficult days. I have written about some my experiences which have brought encouragement to others. I have learned to keep my eyes and ears open. God will place a story idea in my mind when I least expect it. My prayers are with you. Thanks again for sharing from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheryl, for your kind words. I'm sorry you had to go through those struggles but understand how, with God, they can encourage others. Keep the faith and always lean on Him. You won't regret it. God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Bruce, thank you for the reminder that regardless of what we're going through, He never leaves us and never forsakes us. Your faith and your words encourage all of us to focus on Him and what He's teaching us through our struggles. Thanks! We continue to pray for you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my sweet friend. I write, in part, because of you. You've inspired me since we met. I thank God He put you in my life, and that He allows me to encourage you. I look forward to our next meeting, whenever that is. Give Gary my love. God bless you both.

      Delete
  6. Bruce, praying for you! You are a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless you, Bruce for encouraging others while undergoing your own suffering. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bruce. I believe your dream is coming true. Your faith, hope, and heart has inspired me to keep on writing and to see the joy in the middle of the battle.

    ReplyDelete