Monday, December 2, 2013

Social Media Monday—Top 7 Mistakes Authors Make Online

by Edie Melson

I travel all over the country, training writers how to utilize social media and blogging to grow their readership base.

And I find the same mistakes over and over again.

These things are easily fixed, they’re generally small and often overlooked. Today I’m sharing the top 7 mistakes authors make online.


1. Targeting the wrong audience. Unless you are publishing How to Write books, the audience you’re shooting for isn’t writers. Having a blog about how to write, or sharing updates for writers isn’t getting you in front of your readers.

2. Not defining your audience. Along the line of number one, you need to figure out who your audience is. It’s hard to reach people when you don’t know who they are or where to find them.

3. Treating social media as an hard-sell advertising medium. Social media has the possibility of reaching millions, but it’s not a tool for direct selling. Quite the contrary. Direct, repeated pleas to, “buy my book” will drive potential readers far away.

4. Giving up too soon. Social media isn’t a get rich quick scheme. It takes time and effort. Don’t expect instant results, but keep moving forward.

5. Inconsistency. A lot of writers I talk to don’t make building a solid online presence a priority. It’s something that happens when they have time. Because of that they see little growth paired with a lot of frustration. Like anything else, building an online presence takes time and consistency.

6. Trying to do too much. Along with the inconsistency, I often see writers jumping on every new social media platform that comes along. The truth is, we can only do so much. Pick what you’re good at, stick with what works, and give it time.

7. Not doing anything. Social media is overwhelming. I often share that if you don’t feel overwhelmed then you’re not doing it right. It’s a funny line, but there’s a lot of truth in it. But don’t let fear keep you from trying. There are so many rewards to building online friendships.

Now it’s your turn. What mistakes do you see writers making online? Have you made a few yourself? We can all learn from each other.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,

Edie

Tweetables

8 comments:

  1. Yep, I've made a couple of these ... maybe a few. But I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, I think you're doing a great job! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Good stuff, as usual, Edie! I'm working at these things since I've met you! (Also please know we are lifting your son up in prayer daily for complete healing of his broken back and comfort from pain as well as wisdom and strength for you as you minister to him). Hugs, Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elva, thank you for your prayers, and your encouragement! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I've been pleasantly surprised at the growth of my two blogs just by posting consistently. And when I share it on Twitter and Facebook, I usually mention the day just to emphasize that I post each week on that day. Like "Here's my Wednesday offering," or "It's Funny Friday!" It's a slow growth, but, like you said, I need to keep moving forward. It was so good to see you at CCC Advanced and learn more about social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it was good to see you too! It's funny how fast we can go when we're consistent. It's a lesson I had to learn the hard way. Thanks & Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. A term I picked up on Google+ called a link toilet. A lot of bloggers and authors visit every Google+ community, facebook group, and twitter hashtag that has anything to do with writing and simply insert the link and pitch for their latest book or post. If you go to twitter and search #ACFW, you'll see what I'm talking about. I actually start to remember these people and will avoid anything they write. If all an author can do is spam every social site without actually engaging their peers or customers, they're failing miserably. Now to remember not to be that guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, you are so right about those people - and you couldn't be like them if you tried! Thanks so much, Blessings, E

      Delete