Thursday, February 9, 2012

Small Steps…Giant Gain! Take Advantage of Your Signature Line


This week I’m going to start a new type of post on my blog. Small Steps...Giant Gain. These will be small things that you can do to help yourself grow as a writer. There will be craft steps you can take, business steps and networking steps. They may even be short prompts, exercises, or a series of questions.

The common theme for this section though is the fact that it’s SHORT.

So without further ado, here’s the first one.

Have you considered your email signature line?

If you’re not certain what that is, it’s the line or lines including or directly below your signature that is automatically generated within your email program.

This one simple addition to my life has made it much easier for people to
  • Find my blog.
  • Buy my book.
  • Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Here are the basics you should include:
  • Your name and/or the name you write under.
  • A link to your website.
  • Your blog address.
  • Your twitter account name.
  • Your Facebook Fan Page link.
  • A link to your latest book (if you write books).

Warnings:
  • Keep your signature line to a maximum of 6 lines. Anything more and people lose interest.
  • Try NOT to add graphics, these take longer to load and the person who receives the email has to click on a permission tab to see them and most of us don’t bother.

Here’s a screenshot of my iPad sig line to help you see what it looks like.

Although it doesn't look like it in the picture, the title of my book is a clickable link. Also, this is a slightly shorter sig line that I use with my iPad.

What do you like to see in someone else’s sig line? What do you include?

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

13 comments:

  1. I only recently did this! Looking forward to seeing you at Adavance Bootcamp, if I have right that you are one of the speakers.

    Here is my signature line:

    Jenny Smith
    www.keepinginstride.com
    Keeping in Stride Facebook Page
    Follow Me on Twitter

    All are links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using my name, email address, phone number (because anyone I'm emailing knows me), and the links to my two blogs and ministry site. I need to actually link the web addresses, though. I realized recently that they were not set up as links, just the addresses. I also include a scripture verse at the end of my signature lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Website and Twitter links are necessities, and I don' t mind a good quote, as long as it's short. I have buttons on my signature line, and that works great too.

    Love the new posting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, haven't thought about doing this. The problem is I use the same email address for everything freelance work-related and for my writing/blogging connections. May have to re-evaluate this.

    Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two signature lines saved, depending on which persona I am. There's Author me, or Editor me. On both, I include my website, Facebook, and Twitter. On Editor Me, I include my email and title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What benefit is there to having more people follow you on twitter or facebook, or your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what I use:

    Tara Lazar
    -------------------------------------------
    Children's Book Author
    THE MONSTORE, coming 2013
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS A BEAR BOOK, coming 2014
    from Aladdin/Simon & Schuster
    -------------------------------------------
    Blog - Facebook - Twitter

    The blog/fb/twitter are clickable links.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a bit more than you mentioned. It's centered and has different types sizes plus italics and bold to set things off (which doesn't seem to show here, but may once posted). Here it is:
    Just Write Words
    Carol Munro, 53 Melwood Avenue, East Longmeadow, MA 01028-2105
    413-525-3698

    Writing & editing services Writing workshops
    Hand-bound personal legacy books (editing, design, & publishing)
    Manuscript critique & editing for published authors

    Can’t write it yourself? Call Just Write Words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...I've had a signature line for a long time, but hadn't thought about FB and Twitter. Back to the drawing board!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edie, I just love your practical, applicable advice and your heart to help others be successful in little and big ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey everyone - thanks for stopping by and leaving such great tips and comments! Sorry I was MIA yesterday - 4 back-to-back events kept me away. Jenny - I'm looking forward to visiting with you at Bootcamp!
    Alycia & CWM - there's no reason to include a physical address. Actually it can cut down on the readability of your sig line. If it's too long, folks will miss the important stuff and you don't want that!
    Susan, great tips!
    Lindsay, I think Suzan answered your question very well. I work as an editor and writer (and conference director) but I just have one sig line I use, because it's all part of the publishing industry. I've gotten quite a bit of crossover that I didn't expect by doing this. But either choice is a good one!
    Suzan - great tips - thanks so much for sharing what works for you!
    Ellen - as a writer we're always working to build our platform (the number of people who might buy a book or be interested in something we write) and this comes through name recognition and through relationships. The more people we interact with on Facebook, Twitter and our blogs, the more this number grows.
    Tara - your sig line brings up something I forgot to mention, thank you! It's important to also use your tag line to let people know what books to look for in the near future. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Vonda - it's always something, isn't it. Don't get overwhelmed, that's the importance of community - what I forget you remember and visa-versa!
    Beth - Thank you - you are such an encourager to all of us!
    Laura - I'm so glad you found us! I'll be stopping by your place as well!
    Blessings All - E

    ReplyDelete
  13. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!
    Timberland Women's Earthkeepers Mount Holly Tall Lace Duck Boot

    ReplyDelete