Saturday, June 25, 2011

Weekend Worship—Meditations from Ethiopia

As many of you know, I’ve been privileged to spend the past few weeks in Ethiopia. It was an amazing experience and I’m excited to share many of my experiences, as well as my photos, in the Weekend Worship section of my blog.

Light Source
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. . . . In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14; 16

One of the first things I learned on my trip was that I’ve always taken light for granted—in so many ways. I’m used to flicking a switch and having all the light I need. But electricity during the rainy season in Ethiopia is a hit and miss proposition. And without electricity it’s hard to accomplish even the simplest of tasks.

The same is true spiritually. When I’m not plugged into the source of light—it’s almost impossible to be a light for someone else. My light is puny and unreliable. But attached to the source of all power I can shine His light for everyone to see.

In Ethiopia I truly felt like a city on a hill . . . exposed and vulnerable. But God proved Himself to be all the power I needed.

I’m interested to know what experiences you’ve had with being a light.

Don’t forget to join the conversation.
Blessings,
Edie

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the peek into life in Ethiopia. I know you were a huge blessing and a vibrant light in the darkness. Welcome home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing trip, Edie! I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey and seeing your photos. You bless so many in our country, and I know you blessed many in Ethiopia. Welcome home, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look forward to reading your Weekend Worship posts, Edie. This one challenges me to ask how I will be more of a light to others. Not an unreliable, once-in-a-while light, but a steady source of light that reflect's God's truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Edie.

    I can relate to feeling exposed and vulnerable. But, as you said, God is faithful and shows us He is all we need. I find that I grow closer to Him because I recognize how much I need Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Edie!

    It is so important to be the light of the world. There are a lot of dark places in the world today, and they need the light of Jesus.

    My experience with being a light is very similar to yours. I must stay plugged into God and His Word in order to remain bright. It's very difficult to minister the love of Jesus to others when I am not full of His love myself. I must maintain a regular refilling of His Word and spend time with Him in prayer in order to continue bearing His light to the world around me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edie, I've been to Mexico and there are many places like that, too. We do seem "rich" compared to many. Love your analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great analogy. Last week, we lost power here for 27 hours. Yes, I counted. And you're right. Life is so much more difficult without being plugged into the source. This will make me rethink some of the issues I'm going through. Have I detached myself from God and am I trying to work in my own strength? Very possible. Thanks for the post Edie. And welcome home!!

    ReplyDelete