Monday, December 21, 2009

The Writer's Path





The writing path is the journey of a lifetime - fraught with discovery and discouragement. We can avoid some of its pitfalls if we define that path early on. Today, I want to share some insights into my writing journey.

This time of year, with Christmas and New Year's close at hand, my thoughts turn backward as I evaluate the past year and prepare for the next one. I've given up New Year's Resolutions completely and find the freedom from those expectations a major relief.

But I have implemented something else instead.  My husband and I spend some time looking back at our spiritual markers. We look at them individually, as a couple and as a family. I also look at them in regard to my past year as a writer.

This is particularly helpful because the definition of the writer's path is so unique and varied. In the past I've had trouble evaluating my progress because I was comparing my journey to someone else's. To begin the process, I start with some basic questions.


  • What were some of my writing highlights of the year? (Not necessarily the most lucrative, but the most rewarding)
  • What are some of my writing setbacks for the year?
  • What writing advice stands out in my mind seems to apply directly to me?


As I map out these spiritual markers, the path God has had me on becomes quite clear. And, by knowing where I've been, it becomes clearer where to go next. I'd love to hear some of your answers to these questions. I'll be posting mine later this week.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!
Edie

4 comments:

  1. Thought provoking questions, Edie. Here goes.
    Most rewarding writing highlights:
    Starting my novel at Chapter 4 and saving all the good stuff from Chapters 1-3 for another time and place. It hurt, but my beginning is stronger.

    Setbacks: Emergency surgery took me away from writing during this long recovery. I pondered over the purpose of my life and God reassured me that His purpose for all His children is to glorify Him by loving our families and those He has placed in our lives. My individual passion is also writing, which has the ability to also touch others in a very unique way.

    Writing Advice:
    As we writers are always nurturing our craft, I found my writing often stilted by reading over my day's words and wondering if I had applied all the "rules" correctly. I had placed my creativity in a box, crated and labled by others. While we do use the rules of writing as a guide, I'm learning to tear down the walls and let my unique story emerge - the one I'm meant to tell.

    A blessed Christmas, Edie. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Emme, your responses are beautiful--just like you and your writing! Thank you for the reminders.

    And thank you, Edie, for allowing us the opportunity to look back over the 2009 writing year.

    Highlight:
    Watching my Christian Writer's Den writing blog grow in followers, offering a place for writers to gather, get to know each other, and learn more about writing.

    Setback:
    With the care of my terminally-ill sister until her death, followed by the serious illness and near-death of my mother, along with a packed speaking schedule left no time for writing creatively. But I pray I'll get started on that new novel this year!

    Writing advice:
    Don't quit. It may be slow. It may be difficult. But don't quit. Quitting is the only way to fail. Even if our writing never gets published, simply writing it down leaves those words for others to read after we're long gone.

    I pray God's blessing in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emme and Vonda! Great input. Also, if you haven't visited Vonda's blog - check it out!!! www.vondaskelton.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edie: I recently signed up to receive your Blog Posts. I had the pleasure of listening to your Presentation during this past 'Weekend With The Writers' Event (2017). I appreciate the Message of your Post. I believe that reflecting and continual striving towards goals associated with 'Spiritual Markers' is critical to successfully approaching each opportunity, within each day, with renewed celebration! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete